Thursday, May 28, 2009

Sam finishes First Grade






Sam has completed first grade and had an awards assembly today in his classroom. His teacher was handing out character awards. So, I went up there to take some pictures and be a proud mom. I had no idea what I was going to hear. Mrs. Simpson was amazing. She had a video of pictures with music of the whole year. Then each kid received an award for a character trait they displayed throughout the year. As she read each trait and then the scripture that went with it, I became emotional. I was overwhelmed with pride and thankfulness to be able to send my children to a school like this where the teachers are consumed with them knowing Christ. What a blessing. So, Sam received the award for self-control. On the back she wrote.." Instant obedience to the initial prompting of God's spirit. Galatians 5:24-25 " And those who are Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit." I cannot express how proud I was of him at that moment.
I realized also, that he very likely would not receive that award if he didn't have diabetes. This is the one character trait we have focused on because without self-control in his life, he could kill himself with bad choices. There is one little "breadcrumb" for me today. I was thankful he had received something positive from type 1. He is a great kid!

No comments: