Saturday, June 6, 2009

Change is here!

I took Sam to his Children's checkup on Thursday. His A1C was 8.4 which was way better than Bart or I had anticipated. It was still in the "action suggested" area. This just means we need to make some changes. His ideal target range is 7.0 or lower. We have really slacked with Sam's management since my kidney stone trouble and Sophie's illness. To be brutally honest, we didn't even think about Sam's diabetes. WE just went about our day with as little thought about it as possible. I think we have been in a rut also. We have both slacked and given him things more often than we should that are not great for him. I think it is just to feel normal for a little while and pretend we do no have much to deal with.
Anyway, as of Monday night we will be switching to Lantus insulin. I am extremely nervous because when Sam was diagnosed, we had a week to learn. Thursday I got a 30 minute lesson and was sent on my way. YIKES! There is a lot more freedom to come with this schedule, which will be great for our family and hopefully our social life. Change is hard but exciting! I keep reminding myself that the Lord will not give me more than I can handle. I am just afraid the Lord might think I can take on a whole lot and I am not ready for that! Then I think of Matthew 11:28 and I love how the message lays it out......" Come to me. Get away with me and and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me- watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy on or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly. "
I am in need of laying it all down at Jesus feet and resting with him. We can do this. I just pray it is an easy adjustment. Sam is a little nervous too about the new insulin. The doctor told him that it could sting. I think he has asked me ten times today about it and keeps telling me he does not want that. Please lift us in prayer as we begin a new chapter in our life with diabetes.

1 comment:

amberdawn said...

Matt 11:28 is one of my all time favorite verses, but I have never read it in The Message version-I love it! That truth from God is what got me through my severe anxiety I had during some ppd I experienced after our second child. I will continue to pray for you and your entire family!