Thursday, June 4, 2009

YUM! Green Beans!


Since Sam has diabetes, it is really hard to get the kids to try new foods. Food is the ONLY thing Sam has control over, as far as what he is going to put in his mouth. So, the thought of making my kids one plate of food and letting them go to bed hungry if they didn't eat dinner is out the window because Sam has to eat and has to eat a certain amount of food at each meal. I have become really frustrated by this and trying to figure out how to get them to eat healthier. So, Bart and I came up with a way to make them at least eat one bite. The new rule is you have to eat one full bite of everything on your plate before you can leave the table. It has been working and sometimes they actually like the new food. I think we are on our way to some variety!!!!!!

Now they have a new idea as well. They hold their noses while they eat the things they are not fond of. It works great and we are all happy.

2 comments:

amberdawn said...

We have the same rule! You have to take at least ONE bite of everything! Sometimes this too is a beating! What's really funny, is my oldest will do anything for a reward/prize, my youngest however will NOT! If he doesn't like it, he will stand his ground!
I am glad to see you in a happy way today!

Cheri said...

Hi Shannon-- just found your blog.

I just started with Ava a "tasty plate" where she gets tiny portions of many small items-- that has been working very well. She might have carrots with hummus, a small berry parfait (plain yogurt, frozen berries, flax meal, honey), a few nuts, cheese. I like the 'one bite' rule... eventually they start to like that stuff.