Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Blah!!!!

Well, here I am at 2:00 am and I just finished checking Sam. His blood sugar was 115 at bedtime snack so we thought he would go low during the night. He was in fact low with a blood sugar of 60. This is so hard for many reasons... 1) we have to wake him up to have fifteen carbs of sugar 2) we are now putting sugar straight on his teeth and then sending him back to sleepy land. This really bothers me. What happens when he loses all his teeth because we had to fix his blood sugar so much during the night? A small price to pay for life I guess. He handles it amazingly well. Half the time, he never really wakes up. He just eats what we give him and lays back down. AAHHHH! It just breaks my heart to sit and watch him eat four glucose tablets with his eyes closed; just chewing away. I am thankful it has become easier than it was when he was two. I have to find those positives! Well, I am exhausted and going to bed now. Just wanted to let you know what we Millards do in the middle of the night. Sweet dreams.

2 comments:

Hillcrest Cottage said...

bless you...

shannon said...

Hi. My daughter has diabetes also. I totally understand the midnight lows. We've gotten her to the point where she doesn't even wake up when she drinks her milk. It's in these moments that I remember her as a baby (she's 7 now) and being awake in the night to feed her then. They are very sweet moments. I know it's hard and we get no sleep ever, but who better to take care of them than us, right?